In short: Shape how adults learn and build friendships. Become part of the founding team in a European Commission backed startup. Full-time position based in Berlin with flexibility.
We are Octomo
- Octomo is the social learning system. We offer you a holistic, goal-oriented learning experience for your life-long learning. You are always surrounded by good friends who like what you like. You are cheering for each other's wins, and reaching your goals together.
- Social connection is our biggest inspiration. We, humans, need friendship to feel fulfilled. We care about building a social bridge between learners because we need others to become our best. We will end the lonely experience of online learning.
- Hundreds of users have already signed up for the Octomo wait list. We obsess about their needs and spend a big chunk of our time speaking to them. We are in the 3rd round of our prototype iteration with 50+ active users.
- You’ll be the first Full-Stack Engineer and build the product (web app) from scratch.
- We look for someone that can develop software on a prototype level. We value a deep understanding of front-end (e.g. JS, HTML, CSS, REST APIs, NPM / Yarn, ...).
- You'll also work together with Szymon (our aerospace engineer🚀) on the back-end (java/c++/c#).
- Over the next years, you will grow a lot and we'll build up a team around you.
We know that perfect candidates don’t exist. Even if not all of this applies to you, we’d love to learn more about you.
- You've built web apps in either js/java/c++/c#. We are progressive in our tech stack. We don't expect you to have years of experience in either of the programming languages, you will catch up.
- You enjoy building a product from scratch. This means high involvement in the design process and understanding customer wants. It also means that you enjoy making technical decisions.
- You love learning technologies as you go. You always want to find the right tool for the job, and don't only follow what you already know.
- You care about more than engineering quality. Whatever you do, needs to have a business impact. You can make trade-offs between speed and quality.
- You live and are registered in Berlin. This is a requirement given by the EU Commission funding us.
- We are anti-racist and fully support all genders. We love that everybody loves differently. And will make your life as easy as possible. No matter your cultural or religious needs.
- We will not ask about any of those things in an interview or later on. If you want to share your story, we'd love to listen. If not, that's cool!
- We don't look for traditionally successful CVs. To build a special environment, we don't rely on typical measures of judging.
The starting date is as soon as possible. However, we are willing to wait for the right candidate. And will do everything to accommodate your needs.
You'll walk through four stages:
- Get to know each other. We use this to pitch Octomo and get you excited to join. We'll also use this chance to see whether both our expectations align.
- Meet the team. You'll get to meet our two other team members (Bastian, Szymon). We value team fit over everything else. This also gives you the chance to see whether you'd enjoy working with us.
- Technical assessment. You will send us a piece of code you've written before (can be a pet project or a code challenge). We'll use that to have a conversation about which decisions you've taken and why.
- Final conversation. Szymon and you are going to chat more about the position, what you value, what you took away from the interviews so far, and whatever is on your mind.
We are mindful of your time: Going through all stages can be done within one week. Once you've passed them all, we will extend an offer.
How to apply
Just forward your LinkedIn or CV to email@example.com. If you want to stand out, choose a question below to answer:
- What can we improve about our website, the product, or even our job offering?
- What surprising thing have you learned in the last few months?
- What excites you to join us?
We are lucky to hear from you!
Bastian, Szymon, JulianApply